# Choosing a Deployment Method
There are several different deployment methods available, all using the same BTCPay Server software. Because BTCPay is a free and open-source cryptocurrency payment processor, we support diversity in deployment methods for users. Different solutions work best for different use cases.
Business deployment methods can vary by setup, maintenance, support, price, etc. You can run BTCPay as a self-hosted solution on your own server, or use a third-party host. The self-hosted solution allows you not only to attach an unlimited number of stores and use the Lightning Network but also become a payment processor for others.
BTCPay is a non-custodial invoicing system which eliminates the involvement of a third-party when managing funds. Payments with BTCPay go directly to your wallet. Your private keys are never uploaded to the server. Meaning 3rd Party BTCPay hosts do not control user funds, they are simply hosting your instance of the BTCPay software for you.
Manual deployments and Hardware builds are not recommended for production environments and require the user to have technical knowledge related to the build.
# To choose one that will best suit your needs, consider the following:
|Deployment method||Difficulty||Production/Dev||All features |
|Dream Lab Network |
|Third-Party Hosts |
What is this ?
|Easy||Production||Host: Yes |
|Free or Paid hosting,|
depending on provider.
|Hardware & Cloud As A Service: |
- embassyOS (opens new window)
- Lightning in a Box (opens new window)
- Nodl.it (opens new window)
- Nodl.cloud (opens new window)
- Voltage.cloud (opens new window)
|Easy to Moderate||Production||Yes||Varies on provider|
|Virtual Private Server: |
OpenVZ not supported
- LunaNode (opens new window)
- Microsoft Azure
- Digital Ocean (opens new window)
- Amazon AWS EC2 (opens new window)
- Google Cloud
- Other VPS
|Moderate to Hard||Production||Yes||$10-70|
depending on provider
|Manual Deployment: |
- Install From Command Line (opens new window)
- Build Without Docker Image
|Very hard||Development||Yes||Components + Electricity|
|Hardware build: |
- Raspberry Pi 4
|hard||Development||Yes||Components + Electricity|
- VPS providers that use OpenVZ are not supported.
- Fast Sync (opens new window) can be used to accelerate the initial setup sync time for most deployments.